USA: 1-800-338-3568 | CANADA: 1-866-591-5594
Deck Care Tips From Duradek
Did you know, the average cost to build a 10’x10′ cedar deck (100 square feet) in North America, is $2,400, and if you intend to add stairs to that deck, expect to pay an additional $600+!
Did I mention; that is for a one-hundred square-foot deck!
But is that the “average” deck size?
– The average decking space on a home built in North America is 12 – 18% of your indoor space!
– The average house-size in North America is 2,400 sf.
– That means the average deck size of a home in North America is 360 sf.
– So it’s reasonable to assume that the average cost of building a cedar deck is $8,640! Plus stairs!
What’s the point?
A deck will not only be a focal point of a home, but building one is a substantial investment. So, as any good financial planner would tell you: Protecting your investment is very important.
So if you’re thinking of replacing, building or designing a deck, then deck care should be a point of major consideration to protect your investment!
Choosing the right decking material is key to considering deck care!
Cedar Deck Care – Every 12 to 18 months:
– Scrub deck with bleach (never pressure-wash a cedar deck) for 2-3 hours, to remove
– Scrub deck with soapy water for 2-3 hours and let dry for 24 to 48 hours.
– Paint on stain or sealer of choice by hand to get properly into grooves for 8 to 10 hours and let dry for 24-48 hours.
– Repeat coat of sealer if necessary.
– In 12 to 18 months – repeat, repeat, repeat!
Composite Deck Care:
– Clean using broom brush and soapy water every season, or pressure wash
– 18 to 24 months after installation remove composite decking because of mould.
Vinyl Deck Care:
– Hose down vinyl decking at the beginning of your summer season in just minutes.
– Enjoy your ice cold beverage of choice as you admire your well-maintained vinyl deck!
Duradek is only installed by professionals. Our international network of trained, certified and accredited Applicators, Installers and dealers stand ready to help you with your deck care questions and solutions today.