USA: 1-800-338-3568 | CANADA: 1-866-591-5594
Tile Underlayment System
Tile or slate on an outdoor deck has an exquisite look desired by many but attempted by few. Too often these beautiful tile deck projects are installed with all of the attention toward the tile with little thought given to proper waterproofing.
Soon, admiration of the beautiful tile deck turns to resentment of water intrusion into the home which can result in rot and expensive repairs…plus the cost of replacing the tiles.
By using Duradek’s Tiledek™ Membrane in your exterior tile assembly, you can avoid these issues and have your tile deck installed right the first time.
Tiledek™ Waterproofing Underlayment System for Outdoor Tile Roof Deck Assemblies
- Duradek has been waterproofing roof decks since 1974 with our PVC sheet membranes.
- Duradek’s Tiledek is only sold as a professionally installed product by trained contractors who have who specialize in flat roof deck and balcony waterproofing.
- Designed for a thinset system, Tiledek adds little to the overall height or weight to the assembly.
- Tiledek is manufactured in North America with a textured surface designed for best adhesion of thinset mortar.
- Tiledek is installed with specially formulated adhesives compatible with all components of our underlayment system.
- The Tiledek membrane completely seals the deck substructure ensuring water never reaches the building envelope and completely protects everything below.
- Tiledek expands and contracts with the substrate without cracking.
- Tiledek is building code approved as a roofing membrane over habitable space and meets ANSI and ASTM tests as required by the Tile Council of North America (TCNA) and the Terrazzo, Tile and Marble Association of Canada (TTMAC).
- Tiledek provides a full set of tested assemblies.
When Tile Decks Go Bad…and How to Prevent It
Unfortunately, when water has gotten underneath the tiles of an exterior deck or flat roof, it can be hard to identify where the moisture is actually infiltrating the building envelope, particularly on a wood frame building.
Optimistic guesswork with patchy repairs almost never solves the problem and the cycle of leak-patch-wait continues. Each time, this cycle results in more moisture penetrating the building envelope and adds the need to lift or replace a tile – and typically, there are a limited number of replacement tiles available to match your tile deck surface.
This is a common story and an unfortunate influence to builders who steer home owners away from tile decks, particularly when they are situated over living space. There seems to be a lack of understanding within the building community about the proper waterproofing of decks, balconies and roof decks that are overlaid with porcelain tile, slate or other natural stone finishes.
By following industry best practice standards, the success rate of tile decks on wood frame construction would be dramatically increased. This means following the advice of installing your exterior tile with a proper assembly and not cutting corners, which will save you a lot of money in repairs in the long run.
An integral part of a successful exterior tile assembly is the waterproofing component. This is where Duradek comes in with the professional application of our Tiledek™ Membrane.