Care and Cleaning of Durarail Aluminum Railing Systems
The Durarail Aluminum Railing System is the finest railing system available on the market today. Precision welded to the highest standards and sealed with a four-stage powder coating process, Durarail provides a tough, maintenance free finish. Our railings will not rust, rot, peel or ever need repainting. Care and cleaning of Durarail railing systems is so easy it is virtually non-existent.
General Care and Cleaning
Your railing should be cleaned at least twice a year with a mild, non-abrasive soap and water, using a soft sponge. In areas where salts and pollutants are more prevalent (beachfront or industrial areas), the railings should be cleaned more frequently. Always rinse with fresh water to remove any residual soap.
- Avoid using a dry sponge, which may scratch the surface.
- Use regular glass cleaner for glass.
- To remove minor scuff marks or scratches use ‘Soft Scrub’, ‘Vim’ or equivalent mild, nonabrasive products.
- To remove paint or sealant spots use Methylated Spirits, Turpentine, White Spirits, Alcohol or Isopropanol.
- Always remove any sap, tree seeds, bugs, etc. as soon as possible as sun exposure and heat will make them more difficult to remove.
- Certain household cleaners, abrasive agents, harsh chemicals, strong solvents, acids, steel wool and industrial cleaners can cause damage and discoloration to the finish and are not recommended.
Always test a small, inconspicuous area before applying any product to Durarail.
The only regular maintenance other than cleaning is inspecting the fasteners. It is the responsibility of the owner to inspect these areas once a year. Over time fasteners may loosen and need to be tightened down as necessary.
We recommend a light coat of floor or car wax be applied to the tops of any exposed fasteners every 3-6 months to help prevent oxidation (more often if you are located in a high UV and salt spray climates). Surface rust is a normal part of the aging process. This does not affect the integrity and strength of the fastener.
Natural Aging Process
During the natural aging process of the Powder Coating you may notice a white ‘chalk’ or powder that forms on the surface. This is normal and can be cleaned and polished (Using a soft cleaning product like ‘Vim’, ‘Soft Scrub’ or a cut-polish) to easily bring back the glossy sheen.
Coastline Maintenance Requirements
The salt and moisture present in the air of coastline regions can create a damaging build-up of salt on the railing components. This dictates that railings installed within 11 km / 7 miles of salt water require monthly inspections of all railing components to detect any harmful build-up and subsequently remove the harmful residue.
Upon detection of any salty build-up, monthly cleaning of the aluminum surface is required to regain the product’s original look, quality, and luster and to maintain its warranty eligibility.